Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The importance of asking for help........especially for men

This blog just breaks my heart. I have been following Lori's blog for a while. She is awesome. She is funny and her blog is well worth a read.

But.....recently her husband had what I think is a manic episode, and hung himself, he did it in front of her, he survived, and Lori had to make the heartbreaking decision to turn off his life support. The blog now consists of her journey of grief. Its heartbreaking, you can hear her pain in her words. People close to her are telling her that she is too raw on her blog, that she probably shouldn't be blogging about his death and her grief. But I get it. I understand why in this day and age, she feels the need to blog. Blogging is thereputic for a lot of people, and a lot of Lori's friends are from her blog followers list.

Lori is trying to get the message out there (Particularly to men) about the importance of opening up. In her eulogy to Tony she emplored the men at the service to speak up if something was bothering them. I hope that this entry can encourage you to ask your men (or if you are one) to speak up.

Life is about living, not struggling to survive. If someone you know needs help with depression please get them to contact Beyond Blue .

1 comment:

  1. Here here. I have been reading her blog and wow it is heartbreaking. I actually spoke to my husbnd about talking about his feelings prompted by her eulogy. An important message to get out there.

    ReplyDelete